Thursday 21 November 2013

Trees and mantles


Hello again. Today's card is one I made for a friend's birthday. It's a similar technique to what Barbara did on classroom last time.
I started with a piece of water colour card. I spritzed card with water. i then inked the mantle with rusty hinge distress ink and added little bits of aged mahogany and mustard seed. I stamped on copy paper first and then on card twice getting a more faded effect the second time. I did same with the other mantle, but this time I added a bit of peeled paint. The last mantle i stamped in peeled paint. As I had spritzed paper and the inks are water based they ran slightly giving a more mottled effect.
Using potting soil archival ink I stamped the trunks on mantles. I added the slopes with the border stamp on same set. I inked with rusty hinge and dabbed a little mustard seed and peeled paint.
Then using the fab stencil brushes from Clarity stamp, I added some shading at bottom of card with peeled paint. At the top, I added shading with aged mahogany. The birds I drew in brown micron pen.
I matted topper on Tim Holtz co'ordinations craft core card. However the card looked bare like this so I decided to add some twine and jute. I coloured the jute with peeled paint distress ink and spritzed with water for a more even colour. Then I thought that it still needed something as it was still bare. So I thought I could add some leaves from autumn set.
I wanted to use shrink plastic but i'm impatient so I thought I'd try to use promarkers to stamp with. ................And it worked! And it dries a lot quicker than archival. So I cut out 3 of the larger leaves and punched a hole before I heated them. Using jump rings I connected all 3 together and threaded twine and jute through.



Finally I was happy with finished result and it seems so was the recipient!

All for now, Theresa xx


3 comments:

  1. This is fab, great tip re using promarkers to stamp with, will definitely be trying this xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous Theresa....love those colour tones.....x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning Theresa! colours are fab and I love those little leaves you added with the string. xx

    ReplyDelete